Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 2000 10:00:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   when "kldload linux" = "halt"

Hello,

I have something I'm not sure is a feature, a bug, or ignorance.  It
might be interesting to someone, or you might tell me I'm an idiot.

I have a hard drive partitioned with a 2gig Linux install and a 6gig
FreeBSD install.  Rather than suck up even more space with
/compat/linux, I thought I'd try to mount the Linux partition there.
Other people reported that they've done similar things.

First of all, I have /usr/compat/linux mounted ro, as the archives
suggest bad things can happen to that partition otherwise.

It mounts just fine, but when I type "kldload linux" the system stops.
I get the "waiting for bufdaemon to stop" message just as if I'd
rebooted the system.  No panic, no warning, no kernel messages,
nothing.  It doesn't unmount the file systems, for all intents and
purposes acting like "halt -q".

Fortunately it reboots fine, auto-fscking itself.

The system is current, as of last night just before the SMP patchset.

The Linux partition is RedHat 6.2.

Any thoughts?  Places to look?  Things that people would like me to
check?  Pointy hats you'd like me to wear?

Thanks,
Michael

--
Michael Lucas