Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 15:33:19 +0200
From:      "Arvid Elstrodt" <arvid@elstrodt.com>
To:        "Gary Jennejohn" <garyj@jennejohn.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.6 RC2, Dynalink IS64PH ISA PnP card: "Can't assign  resources" ??

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary Jennejohn" <garyj@jennejohn.org>
To: "Arvid Elstrodt" <arvid@elstrodt.com>
Cc: <freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Monday, May 27, 2002 11:59 AM
Subject: Re: FreeBSD 4.6 RC2, Dynalink IS64PH ISA PnP card: "Can't assign
resources" ??

> "Arvid Elstrodt" writes:
> > Now, I have noticed upon booting that the first message about ISDN that
> is
> > listed is something like this: "Cards: Dynalink unknown, can't assign
> > resources".
>
> The kernel does not recognize the card.
>
> > After that, I DO get the messages confirming the attaching of i4b,
> i4bisppp,
> > i4bctl etcetera,just like the manual says.
> >

> This is normal and does not depend on whether the kernel sees a card
> or not.
>
> > I figured that the problem must be within the first two lines, so I have
> > been trying various combinations of them, until now without result.
> > But, as the system is an older Intel box, it takes ages to compile a
> kernel
> > and try something new, so I hope that someone can point me to the right
> > solution  !
> > Do I need to use ISIC or IWIC ? And then what ?
> > And must "DYNALINK" be supplied as an option, and if so, with or without
> > quotes ?
> >

> There's a comment in the driver:
>         At the moment I'm writing this Dynalink is replacing this card
> with
>         one based on a single Siemens chip (IPAC). It will apparently be
> sold
>         under the same model name.
>
> Maybe you have on of the new models ? What numbers do the chips on the
> card have ?
>
> You _might_ be able to use this a an Asuscom ISDNLink 128k card.
> ``man isic'' for the correct entry in the kernel config file. In
> general, the isic manpage provides the correct syntax for this
> stuff and should always be referenced, if in doubt.
>
> ---
> Gary Jennejohn / garyj@jennejohn.org gj@freebsd.org gj@denx.de

Hi,

Thanks for the input.

In fact the card is quite "old": I bought it in 1995 / 1996 or so ....
I opened the box again this morning (I actually have taken a day off from
work to get this working !) to investigate the card, serials, and chipset.

Here is what is on several stickers and directly on the card:

DYNIS64PH+
DYNALINK IS64PH+ ISDN
IS64PH P/N 910524126
TA200S100092475
714909000048
CE0499X

The two biggest chips on the card are both from Siemens, and they read:

SIEMENS PSB 21525 N HSCX TE V2.1 GERMANY 748
SIEMENS PSP 2186N V1.1 ISAC-S TE GERMANY 9750L

I have read through LINT and found that I *should* use following two lines
in the kernel config:

options DYNALINK
device iwic

I have just tried this, but I get the same result: the card is not
recognized :-(

The manpages for isic give two more options (based on your suggestions):

for FreeBSD: options ASUSCOM_IPAC device isic0
for NetBSD: options DYNALINK device isic* at isapnp?

By the way, both entries for "options" were written between double quotes,
but I have understood that the actual enry should be made without the
quotes, correct ?

I am going to try the above two options, we'll see ....

Regards,

Arvid