Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 1996 04:55:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, core@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I ask you to respond to Linus

On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> John, I think this is now bordering on seriously bad publicity and the
> LAST thing we need is for core members to get into public slanging
> matches with Linus on USENET!

Bingo Jordan!  You've hit the nail on the head.  I was gleefully hacking
away in the living room and one of my roommates came out and said
something to the effect "man, have you been following the whole TCP
latency thread on Usenet?  Dyson is making himself look like a nut[1]."

Now, this person is a Linux user, and a very successfull one at that.
He's above the petty "Linux vs. FreeBSD" argeuments, and can appriciate
the good things in FreeBSD.  He's just got too much time invested in Linux
to change, and as they say 'if its not broke, don't fix it.'  I'm saying
all of this so that its clear that this person doesn't really have any
vendetta against FreeBSD or any of the core team members.

Linux has many more people using it that are just waiting for someone that
they can get in a pissing contest with.  We can't win that battle, nor
should we want to.  Its just not worth it.

IMHO we've all got much more important things to be doing with our energy.

Matthew "Now I've got to upgrade all the production boxes to 2.1.5." Dodd

As always, have a good one.

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|

1. Clearly this is not the case, though one may argue that many of the
core contributors to Linux and FreeBSD nuts just on general principle.
:)