Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2002 15:44:05 +0200
From:      Bartosz Fabianowski <bartosz@fabianowski.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Updating to STABLE: buildkernel fails

Hi,

I have been trying to update my system from 4.5 release to 4.x stable
and I ran into a problem I can't solve.

I was working on a fresh, clean install of FreeBSD with no XFree86.
First, I updated the source to RELENG_4 via CVSup and then I ran
buildworld, as described in chapter 19.4 of the FreeBSD handbook. I
built everything except for games (don't need them), ISDN 4 BSD (don't
need it) and Kerberos (no clue what it's for / guess I don't need it).

Much to my surprise, buildworld took only 30 minutes. It finished with:

===> etc
===> etc/sendmail
rm -f freebsd.cf
(cd /usr/src/etc/sendmail &&  m4
-D_CF_DIR_=/usr/src/etc/sendmail/../../contrib/sendmail/cf/
/usr/src/etc/sendmail/../../contrib/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4 freebsd.mc) >
freebsd.cf
chmod 444 freebsd.cf

I have no clue if that is a proper finish or if something went wrong,
but since I didn't see any errors, I went on to compile a new kernel.

I cd'd into /usr/src and ran make buildkernel. After a while, it failed
with:

===> smbfs
@ -> /usr/src/sys
machine -> /usr/src/sys/i386/include
perl @/kern/vnode_if.pl -h @/kern/vnode_if.src
touch opt_inet.h
echo "#define INET 1" > opt_inet.h
touch opt_ipx.h
echo "#define NETSMB	1"  > opt_netsmb.h
echo "#define NETSMBCRYPTO 1" >> opt_netsmb.h
touch opt_smbfs.h
touch opt_vmpage.h
perl @/kern/makeops.pl -h @/libkern/iconv_converter_if.m
make: don't know how to make des_enc.S. Stop
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

I would be very thankful if anybody could give me any hints as to what
went wrong and what I can do to fix this.

As described in the FreeBSD handbook, chapter 19.4, I'm also including
the output of uname -a:

FreeBSD undo.chillt.de 4.5-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE #0: Mon Jan 28
14:31:56 GMT 2002
murray@builder.freebsdmall.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386

Thanks,
Bartosz Fabianowski