Date:      Wed, 04 Nov 1998 00:31:15 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Bob Vaughan <techie@tantivy.stanford.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pccard ethernet breakage between 2.2-stable and 3.0-current

> cvs update as of saturday (both trees).
> my sthernet card (a SVEC ne2000 compatable) breaks under 3.0-current only,
> but 2.2-stable works fine.
> I noticed the same type of breakage in PAO when i tried it back in july/august.
>
> symptoms: my ethernet card returns a bogus hardware address the first couple
> of times it is probed, but the third time it returns the correct address.
> the 2.2-stable code properly deals with this, while the 3.0-current code
> accepts the bogus address..
>
> hardware: chembook 3300 (p233mmx, 96mb ram, 4gb disk), SVEC ne2000 compatable
> ethernet card.

Can you be more specific about "properly deals with this"?  We had a
previous tester give up on the svec card in total disgust after being
unable to make it do anything useful, so any insight that would help us
to support them properly would be useful.

In particular, are there any code changes between 2.2 and 3.0's 'ed'
driver that you think might account for the different behaviour?