Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 95 15:25:17 -0500
From:      Matt Rosenberg <mar7@cec.wustl.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adaptec 2742W

Earlier this week I had asked about my Seagate 43401N drive
which wasn't being read correctly.  I had several dozen people
mail me telling me to fix the partition table, and I tried to
tell as many as I could that BSD wasn't even getting as far as
reading the partition table, and the disklabeling program
wouldn't even let me access the disk to make any changes.  Even
turning off extended translation in the adaptor setup didn't
work.  After screwing around for a few days I found the
solution:
TURN OFF THE "INITIATE WIDE NEGOTIATION" BIT IN THE ADAPTOR
SETUP!  That worked.
Now I have another problem.  I recompiled a kernel to add a
second adhc device for my other Adaptec 2742, and took out all
of the superfluous device lines in the kernel configuration.
It compiled correctly, but hung right after finishing loading
the kernel and probing devices (but it did probe the second
adaptor correctly).  I started over from GENERIC and this time
the only change I made was adding the second adhc device.  Same
problem.  I made the device line exactly identical to the first
device line except for changing adhc1 to adhc2.  I am not
on the second one to 12 (the first IRQ is 11) because when they
were both set to 11 (Adaptec says to keep them the same) BSD
refused to probe the second bus.  Any suggestions?
Matt Rosenberg
Washington University School of Law
St. Louis, MO, USA

mar7@cec.wustl.edu ; rosenbem@wulaw.wustl.edu