Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 12:21:16 +1000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Temcguire@aol.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interpreter compilers

> In the realm of rapid prototyping with interpretive languages, there appear
> to be several options in FreeBSD (1997).  I noticed tcl/tk, JAVA and PERL in
> particular and observed scheme and python.  It appears that a compiler exists
> for scheme (scheme-to-C).
>
> Question#2:  Can PERL scripts be translated into C and compiled into
> executables?  Do regular expressions and associative arrays (awk) exist in
> any other languages that can be translated and compiled?

It looks like the Perl enthusiasts have gotten to you already, so I'll
restrict myself to my own field. 8)

Tcl supports both regular expressions and associative arrays, and the
current Tcl (8.0) also features a JIT compiler.  Depending on your
choice of algorithms, Perl and Tcl are generally comparable in speed.

mike