Date:      Tue, 06 Oct 1998 13:00:15 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Nicholas Charles Brawn <ncb05@uow.edu.au>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re Fwd: FreeBSD port of Codewarrior (fwd)

Nicholas Charles Brawn wrote:

> Nice to actually hear back from these people. :)
>
> Nick
>
> --
> Email: ncb@poboxes.com - http://www.poboxes.com/ncb
> Key fingerprint =  DE 30 33 D3 16 91 C8 8D  A7 F8 70 03 B7 77 1A 2A

For those of you considering pestering MetroWerks for CodeWarrior on
FreeBSD, you may want to consider that Be just announced they are
moving FROM CodeWarrior to EGCS in BeOS R4 on x86.

No negative reasons were given for this transition, but it is well known
that MetroWerks x86 code generation is not as good as GCC, the compiler
is not as close to current C++ standards as EGCS, and their current
debugger support is very limited.

MetroWerks has done a lot of work polishing CodeWarrior for embedded
development in the last year, which usually means ELF+DWARF in the
32-bit world.  A port to Linux is probably a no-brainer on their
part.  A port from Linux to FreeBSD 3.0 would probably come as close
to trivial as any compiler port ever could, but I'm not sure it would
get you anything other than a "commercial" compiler.

This may be a good opportunity for the "Works with FreeBSD" branding
program, though.  We just test the Linux executable, observe that it
a) runs, b) correctly manages to link CW-generated ELF object files
with FreeBSD libraries, and c) the executables will actually run on
FreeBSD.

This may or may not get the debugger to work; I suspect the debugger
will probaly require a very fine-grain emulation of the Linux procfs,
and I don't know if our emulation is that good yet.

--
             Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                                      +1.801.915.2061
Softweyr LLC                                                   wes@softweyr.com