Date:      Fri, 6 Jun 1997 15:47:09 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any objection to the following?

Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:
> > Ok, how about something like a "local_etc" searchpath, containing
> > directories which might contain etc-like files?  I'm just thinking of
> > this as a poor cousin to some of the other solutions for a read-only
> > /etc.
>
> Hmmm.  I'm having a hard time picturing this..  Some diffs would
> help! ;-)

Heh.  It's a concept, not an implementation.  I have an accounting
exam in less than a week, so code work is getting a low priority 8(

The idea was something like :

local_etc="/var/etc /usr/local/etc"

foo_config_file=search_for_file("foo.cf", $local_etc)
if [ "$foo_config_file" ]; then
	foo -f $foo_config_file; echo -n "foo "
else
	foo; echo -n "foo "
fi

where search_for_file takes a filename and a list of directories.
I realise that this wouldn't help in the originally offered situation,
you'd need a search_for_files() function that returned a list of
full paths to all found files matching the name on the paths supplied.

... as I said, it was very much a "poor cousin" idea.