Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 22:53:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Seagate vs Quantum.. opinions?

> On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Christopher Masto wrote:
>
> > I have a situation where I asked for Seagate Barracudas and was
> > shipped "QUANTUM ATLAS IV 9 WLS 0707" instead.  Before I send them
> > back, I want to make sure I'd be making the right decision.
> >
> > As people here have intimate knowledge of which drives FreeBSD gets
> > along best with, and which ones have nasty quirks and firmware bugs,
> > should I keep the Atlases or the Barracudas?
>
> Have you tried the IBM drives?  I know you said Seagate and Quantum, but
> the IBM drives seem (to me) to be, all at the same time, the cheapest,
> coolest, quietest, and very nearly the fastest.  Check the prices, if
> you go to the places I go to, you're in for a shock.
>
> I am really starting to be an IBM booster (take a look at all the free
> source code available at their site, if you need other reasons).  Times
> sure have changed, haven't they?  They don't seem to be trying to be
> such open monopolists these days.

Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat it, or some
such...Don't kid yourself- they're still into world domination, just
keeping a lower profile these days and letting Linus do the running for a
while.

IBM drives are okay, but like a lot of IBM stuff, sometimes do things
gratuitously different. Also, they sometimes die in midlife- unlike
Seagate drives which, past initial mortality, seem to go for years.