Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 08:31:11 -0600
From:      "John" <sephtin@techgodz.com>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: sendmail 8.12.2 MFC'ed

I'm probably not one to get involved in the conversation at this point (it
seems to have gone nearly off it's topic)..

Pell Yeasah wrote:
>I've noticed that there are, in fact, sendmail and bind ports -- does
>anybody use them? if so, why, and do they interact poorly with their
>src-contrib counterparts? If not, why are they there? Is there some
>political struggle afoot to cleave these packages from the BSD sources
>proper? Are these old, deprecated ports?

I'm a *nix newbie.  I ran into this the other day.  Had my system completely
up and running.  (Internet gateway, NAT box, several other packages config'd
successfully).  Decided I wanted to install Bind9.
I cvsup'd, and went in and installed Bind9 from ports.
Config'd it according to the bind9 doc, and when I started named, naturally
it started 8.2.4 (Free 4.4 Rel), rather than the 9.2.1.rc1 that I had
installed.  Now I've got Bind installed twice, and have no idea what's the
best way to get it working properly.
I'll have to bait friends over with beer and pizza to get them to help me
fix :(

Is there doc for the ports tree apps ANYWHERE that describes locations that
things are installed to, or what config files are necessary, possibly even
how to admin different apps when installed from the ports tree??
(Especially since it seems that when installed from ports, it doesn't
install them in their default locations.. thus I have named in
/usr/local/sbin, and /usr/sbin...)
I'm a beginner, and my biggest help with my FreeBSD boxes is a linux guy,
who keeps telling me "FreeBSD is F'Kd up.  They do things screwey".

My experiences with cvsup and installing from ports were excellent, until I
ran into the Bind prob.

Just my 2c.

John Ricker