Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 20:40:56 -0800
From:      joe <joe-dated-1040532055.123ac1@dubium.com>
To:        Darren Shepard <dss@orst.edu>, Andreas Ntaflos <ant@overclockers.at>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Native Opera: "INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End", libjavaplugin_oji.so?

On December 16, 2002 04:56 pm, Darren Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 10:40:07PM +0100,
>
>    Andreas Ntaflos <ant@overclockers.at> writes:
> | Hello list,
> |   Maybe somebody knows what the problem is I am facing with the
> | native version of Opera for FreeBSD. Until now I have used the
> | linux-opera port and it worked quite well I think.
> |   	Out of curiosity I wanted to give the native version from the
> | ports a try and deinstalled linux-opera along with keeping a backup
> | of the ~/.opera directory under ~/.opera.linux. The installation
> | took 5 minutes or so and when I fired it up I got the following
> | error messages after confirming the license agreement thingy:
> |
> | -----------
> |   shell> opera &
> |   INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not load
> | libjavaplugin_oji.so: linking error=Shared object "libgtk-1.2.so.0"
> | not found
> |
> |   System error?:: No such file or directory
> |
> |   [2]    Exit 255                      opera
> |   shell>
> | -----------
> |
> |   Then it exits. And that's it.
> |
> |   Does anybody know what the problem here is? I have both jdk and
> | linux-jdk installed, could it be a problem with Java or something
> | related? And what does it have to do with "libgtk-1.2.so.0"?
> |
> |   Any hints/pointers/RTFMs? A search of the archives didn't bring
> | up anything regarding an error like the above.
> |
> | Thanks in advance,
> | regards
> | --
> | 	Andreas "ant" Ntaflos	|  "A cynic is a man who knows the price of
> | 	ant@overclockers.at	|  everything, and the value of nothing."
> | 	Vienna, AUSTRIA		|				Oscar Wilde
>
> I had the same problem, but only after installed the linux-jdk and
> the native jdk.  Before opera worked fine, after it failed to load
> with a similar error message to yours.  My "solution" was to chmod
> 000 the libjavaplugin_oji.so so that opera would start.  Yeah lame
> but I couldn't get opera to stop trying to load the plugin
> otherwise  :-)   I looked briefly for a real solution on opera's
> support forum, but found no answers...

In the lame solution department I removed the line pointing to the
directory opera was looking in in the file /usr/local/bin/opera.  There
wasn''t much interest on the opera list to this problem.

Joe Sotham
If the only prayer you say in your entire life is "Thank You",
that will suffice.
        - Meister Eckhart