Date:      Sat, 21 Jan 2017 15:08:15 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
To:        spirals <spirals@eircom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD C Compiler to recompile many lines of K&R Whitebook C.

Hi,

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017 21:40:29 +0000
spirals <spirals@eircom.net> wrote:

> Hi All, I am a newcomer to your list, with a rather unusual question,
> and this is definitely not a windup folks.
>
> How far back in BSD releases would I need to get (the source code to
> build)  a C compiler that will accept "bog standard" K&R Whitebook C
> (1st ed), rather than throwing the thousands of warnings and error
> messages the current gcc on Linux 7 (Wheezy) is doing.
>
> I ask this as I understand from reading the documents the FreeBSD
> compiler is based on gcc.
>
> I have not yet installed FreeBSD, but asking this question as part of
> a process of evaluating evaluating it, based on this specific
> requirement to compile K&R C.
>
> The K&R C consists of many lines of code known to compile clean and
> run OK when it was originally written.

this could have worked those days as the compiler might was written by
the same people as the program.

Any way, I ran recently in a K&R source which compiled and worked as
expected on FreeBSD 10 and 12. The warnings have been nearly endless.
As the source was just a few hundred lines, I do not know how relevant
this is.

Good luck!

Erich