Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 1996 12:23:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: library needed to port s/w to Freebsd

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Julian Elischer
had to walk into mine and say:

> I have a package that needs the 'search' library from sysVR2
> (and later I presume)
> it looks for "search.h"
> "search" used to allow one to build and search a tree of arbitrary items
>
> I found paul Vixie's AVL tree routines in the  archive,
> and maybe I was thinking of them but I remmeber
> the docs saying "This is a drop in replacement..."
> and that's not true for the AVL stuff.
>
> does anyone know of the replacement library?
> I remember there WAS one, but I've been scanning the archives
> and haven't found it yet.
>
> julian

Hm. The Berkeley DB hash method has what it calls an 'hsearch
compatibility interface' which is supposed to be for compatibility
with System V, though it doesn't specify any particular version
of System V. If you look in the source tree for the DB package and
check the hash directory, you'll see there's a search.h header there,
which for some reason doesn't seem to get installed. I don't know if
this is what you're after though since you didn't really say what
functions this library provides. There's only a small handfull of them
in this particular search.h header so it may not be what you're after.
Might not hurt to check it out though.

-Bill

 "If you're ever in trouble, go to the CTR. Ask for Bill. He will help you."