Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 00:08:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>
To:        "David S. Jackson" <deepbsd@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: testing memory speed

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, David S. Jackson wrote:

> Is there a utility to test memory speed?  I looked at memtest in ports,
> but it looks like that mainly tests for faulty memory.  I did a
> websearch and found a command:  dd </dev/zero >/dev/null, but that
> doesn't seem to summarize the memory speed easily for me.
>
> Can anyone else give me a pointer to how to test my machine's memory
> speed?  How can I find out whether a memory stick is compatable with an
> old box?

The speed of the memory is a hardware issue.  If you mismatch the speeds
of your memory and your motherboard, then the board will either try and
force the memory to run a the speed it wants, or the motherboard will drop
it's bus speed down to match that of the memory.  Either way,  I don't
think that software is able to tell you if a stick of memory should be
running at the speed it is, because the software can only read what the
motherboard is running at.

My suggestion would be to just try the memory.  If it doesn't work, you
won't break anything.  The worst case scenario is that the motherboard
detects the wrong size of memory if the speed is mismatched, which should
still be usable anyways.