Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 19:16:01 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Source code commits

> > Is it possible to commit source code locally, and get cvsup to send the
> > udpates back to freefall ?  If not, would there be a lot of work involved ?
>
> This isn't cvsup's domain, actually, but it is something CVS can
> handle itself.  You simply set CVS_RSH to ``ssh' and CVSROOT to
> ``freefall.freebsd.org:/home/ncvs'', then you do your CVS operations
> as normal.
>
> I have some shell functions which I use so that I can keep things
> checked out relative to my local CVS repository (and obviously many
> times faster than using freefall's) up until the point where I want to
> commit the changes, then it fools CVS into thinking that the sources
> were originally checked out from freefall too:

[ ... ]

Not too useful to those of us who checkin to our local repository
because we can't checkin to Freefall...

It would be nice if I could:

cvsup	<-- tree without my tag
	cvs co src
	[ set local tag ]
	[ edit file locally ]
	[ check in under tag ]
cvsup	<-- tree without my tag
	[ edit file more locally ]
cvsup	<-- tree without my tag
	[ check in again under tag ]
cvsup	<-- tree without my tag
	[ create diff locally ]
	[ send diff to Julian (or whever has commit privs ]
	[ set new local tag ]
cvsup	<-- tree without my tag
cvsup	<-- tree without my tag
	[ edit file more locally ]
cvsup	<-- tree without my tag
	[ check in again under tag ]
cvsup	<-- tree without my tag
	[ Julian commits changes ]
cvsup	<-- tree without my tag, but with commits from "local tag" to
	    to "new local tag" ]
*** Here's the bugger: ***
	[ I merge local tag, so deltas after "new local tag" are applied
	  relative to post-merge code ]
cvsup	<-- tree without my tag
	[ I repeat "send diff..." ]

Right now, I have to wait for the checkin, and can do no new work until
it has occurred (making it against my best interests to check in).  Plus,
I can't "rebranch" my local tag, or run several concurrent derivative
branches (also making it a bad idea to send diffs).

Plus you guys lose my edit history, which is what cuts the code up
into small enough change domains for you guys to digest (ie: tag1, code,
tag2, code, tag3, code, tag4, submit 1-2, submit 2-3, submit 3-4).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---