Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2001 09:55:42 +1000
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@s1.com>
To:        Keith McDonnell <KMCD@ie.ibm.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing on a thinkpad 560

Hi,

I'm late, but then, what's new? ;')

> I am having trouble installing freebsd 42 on an IBM thinkpad 560 with
> 133mhz / 40mb ram .

just did a similar machine last night (Sunday). TP560 with P100

> 1.   cannot boot from pccard cdrom ( fair enough )
> 2.   cannot boot from serial modem . (  phase deflink not connected error )
> . Tried this on my desktop box with similar
>      results . Tried to manually configure ppp settings in term mode - no
> luck either .
> 3.   cannot boot from floppy ( ibm external floppy proprietry format )
> 4 .  no ether network setup so NFS is out

ok - what I did, is build (after much searching and mucking around) a dos boot
floppy with the realmode drivers for the pcmcia cd-rom / 4x cd-rom, create a
dos partition of about 700MB and xcopy the whole first cd to the dos
partition.

Booted from the floppies and installed from the dos partition. Of course, I
have 4.5G to play with, so this is less than useful on a standard '800M'
drive.

Assuming you have the same / similar cd-kit as I have (1969008), I can use
something like winzip to send you the files for the boot-floppy.

hth,