Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 16:30:58 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        "Byron L. Sonne" <blsonne@rogers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: trying to fix missing /boot/loader error, no luck

In message <3CE12980.2A6BDC58@rogers.com>, "Byron L. Sonne" writes:
>Yes, since this is a home machine I used a simple partitioning scheme;
>other than swap all I have is /boot @ 256MB and / @ 18GB. I've done the

Ah, that explains the problem. /boot/loader needs to be on the root
filesystem. The separate /boot is not doing what you think it is
and it does not achieve anything other than breaking the use of
/boot/loader. When you have a /boot on Linux it is a completely
different matter, because Linux uses /boot as the root filesystem
at first and then switches over to the real one (I think).

The simplest recommended filesystem layout is to have a smallish
root filesystem and then a /var and a large /usr. For now you can
just unmount /boot or mount it somewhere else and copy the contents
to /boot on the root filesystem.

Ian