Date:      Sat, 27 May 2000 18:30:19 +0000
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@chello.nl>
To:        mwhalen@uucom.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: killall question

On Sat, May 27, 2000 at 11:18:22AM -0400, mwhalen@uucom.com wrote:
> I think I heard John Baldwin say:
> >
> >On 27-May-00 Randall Hopper wrote:
> >> housley@thehousleys.net:
> >>  |Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com> said:
> >>  |> I have a script I run named "newroot".  I want to kill it with killall.
> >>  |>
> >>  |>     > ps -ax | grep newroot
> >>  |>      842     1 rhh    /bin/sh /home/rhh/bin/newroot 360
> >>  |>
> >>  |You will have to do something like
> >>  |kill `ps -ax | grep newroot | sed -e '^[0-9]*'`
> >>
> >> Ok.  I thought I'd at least try to use the system version, but sounds like
> >> it's just not as flexible as killall's on other systems.
>
> IMHO, killall is a terrible script to use since it's behavior is so

It is not terrible as such, it is just very incorrectly named..

> different on different machines.  I've seen newbie sysadmins do bad
> things with killall on my Solaris machines:  Here is the start of
> Solaris' manpage:

It is not only newbies, people who run multiple Unix versions can be
confused too. My vote is to rename killall to something that is A. unique
and B. covers it's actions well.

W/
--
Wilko Bulte 	FreeBSD, the power to serve  	http://www.freebsd.org