Date:      17 Jul 2020 17:13:05 -0400
From:      "John Levine" <johnl@iecc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        merlyn@geeks.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd running on used Rack server

In article <20200717192349.GA40739@geeks.org> you write:
>You would want to play to FreeBSD's strengths. Ie. especially ZFS.
>Ie many Dell servers would have a RAID card in them instead of a HBA for direct JBOD support.
>ZFS really works best with direct access to the disks as a JBOD.

My server is a Dell PowerEdge R410 with two Xeon CPUs, 32GB of RAM, and four disks
set up as a pair of ZFS mirrors.  Works great.

My main complaint has nothing to do with FreeBSD.  The iDRAC remote console software only
works with Java 6 or older so I have to keep a deliberately not-updated old PC around to
connect to it.

R's,
John