Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 20:25:55 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mergemaster after upgrade

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> >> Well i ran mergemaster, and now i am thoroughly confused.  I understand
> >> what it is doing, but the question is, if i leave everything AS-IS, will i
> >> lose functionality?
> >
> >Possibly, yes.  In fact, you may lose your machine.  For example, if
> >a new and terrifying feature is introduced into the kernel and it is
> >turned off in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, you won't have the new rc.conf, so
> >it's conceivable that the feature may be turned on at boot time.
>
> So the best bet is to just carefully go through mergemaster, and figure
> out what everything means?  Then decide whether it needs merging or not?

	Still catching up on old mail...

	The answer to your question is yes. I just wanted to point out that there
is an option you might want to consider. You can do 'mergemaster -a' which
will go through and delete everything that doesn't need attention in
/var/tmp/temproot, then you can look them over by hand. When you're sure
that you know what all the files do, and what has been changed, you can run
'mergemaster -r' and it will tend only to the files that are left.

Just a suggestion,

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"