Date:      Thu, 6 Nov 1997 00:08:14 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        joe@via.net (Joe McGuckin)
Subject:   Re: 'sys' is consuming %50 of cpu

As Joe McGuckin wrote:

> What about turning off FAILSAFE? Would that make a noticable difference?

Certainly not.  AFAIK, it's by now still only the NCR driver that does
use this option (and disables tagged command queuing).

> Also, the ethernet card I'm using is a 100mb 3COM (VX driver). I notice that
> the man page for the vx driver implies that this card is a poor performer.
> Is that still true?

Yep, that's most likely the reason.  These cards do just PIO only
(with our driver -- but even the 3Com manual admits that the cost of
setting up a busmaster DMA transfer is often too high to be justified
by the gain).

> What card should I get?

Most people will certainly recommend a card with a DEC chip (many
vendors build it), or an Intel Etherexpress 100/B.  I haven't used the
latter myself, but i think wcarchive stands for itself. ;)

--
cheers, J"org