Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 13:46:13 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>
To:        Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, sjr@home.net
Subject:   Re: Dependency-based rc system (Was Re: sysctl on boot.)

> NetBSD has a nice working example, and I intend to port and reconstruct

You would probably do well to look at other implementations as well. The
one Eivind wrote apparently works fine on FreeBSD, all done in shell
script, and ISTR someone mentioning a more crippled way of doing this
being employed in SCO or AIX or somesuch.

> it for FreeBSD, and suggest we cross over.  They apparently took a
> little hammering on the mailing lists, and I imagine we will too, but it
> does seem the obvious way forward, and we can sidestep many of the
> issues from what they've learnt and done.

*nod* There will always be issues with such a major change. I suppose we'd
need a transition period in which the old scripts work mostly as expected.

Marius