Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:41:51 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Printer daemon killing machine ... ?

At 10:09 AM -0400 9/27/01, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>Just upgraded to the most recent version of 4.4, via CVSup ... we have a
>printer (HP 880c) attached to the back, that we have our windows boxes
>printing to via samba ... if a print job is sent, the machine pretty
>much dies for several minutes and then goes on its merry way ...
>
>the machine is a dual celeron with 256meg of RAM ... not what I'd
>consider to be a small machine ... 0 swap is being used ...
>
>something I'm overlooking, as far as config might be concerned?

How is the printer connected?  (serial or parallel?)

Some time ago there was a thread on "stray irq's 7, printing hangs,
about 20000-50000 irqs per second", which had to do with the
configuration of a parallel-connected HP printer.  I think the key
suggestion in that thread was:

     Antony T Curtis <antony@abacus.co.uk>:
     You may want to investigate changing the default mode of
     the printer port driver by playing with the flags for the
     printer port device (see `man ppc' )

     ECP mode should give the best performance by using a DMA
     channel to transfer data and only issuing an IRQ at the end
     of DMA. Should yield up to 2MB/s. However, I always seem to
     get occasional bytes going missing when printing to a
     Panasonic laser printer.

     Otherwise, one can opt for EPP or PS/2 mode, which should
     enable the small FIFO available in most printer ports - this
     should slash the number of IRQs.

disclaimer: I'm just guessing here.  Everything that I do with
printing is done with network-connected printers.  I avoid serial
and parallel connections!