Date:      Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:29:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cross platform building under emulation

Dan Langille writes:
| I'm asking these questions now because I'm about to implement this at
| home and document it on http://www.freebsddiary.org/ (see the teaser
| at http://www.freebsddiary.org/cross-compiling-teaser.php).  My main
| concern is I don't want to be misleading people or giving them a
| build that contains real problems.  My test installs have resulted in
| a box that runs, but more information is always useful.

Yes, it has always just worked for me when target <= host and I didn't
want to build ports etc.  It's sometimes tempting to jump ahead
and do more withing initially noticing problems.  So if someone tries
to build a port within the chroot then they might have random breakage.
That is mostly what my warning is for.  I made a few mis steps along the
way to what I have now and it will get better in the future.  I would
suggest that you mention the hooks of
	UNAME_s
	UNAME_r
	UNAME_v
	UNAME_m
	UNAME_p
	OSVERSION
to point people in the right direction even if they are only partially
implemented.  Looks like I will be commiting my changes to osreldate
and uname(3) to make this stuff work through out.

Only after some other hacks did I discover these hooks :-(

Doug A.