Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 16:16:25 -0600
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        Ronald Klop <ronald@klop.yi.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: permanent nice?

> Is it possible to give an application a permanent nice level? I want
> to start my mp3-player with a higher priority without having to
> su-ing to root and renicing every time.
>
> I know I can write some kind wrapper which setuid's to root, renices
> and setuid's back, but why invent the wheel if it (maybe) already
> exists.

I think you just answered your own question.  In Unix, if a given bit
of functionality already exists, nobody's going to a write a separate
tool that duplicates it.  (Well, some people that come from Losedows
start out doing this, but they learn soon enough.)

Use sudo(8) and nice(1) or whatever.  As always, be careful about
setuid scripts (or the basically equivalent functionality in sudo).

Lucas