Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 1995 21:19:16 +0300
From:      Amos Shapira <amoss@cs.huji.ac.il>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a router

"Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com> wrote:
|I think you have miss understood.  I was talking about using FreeBSD
|with 4 100BaseTX ethernet cards as a low cost router, when you compare
|that to a dedicated hardware router like a Cisco it makes us look bad.
|
|But then compare any general purpose computer being used as a router
|to the dedicated CPU per NIC + special NIC and all sorts of other fun
|and games that go on in a real router and they all look bad.

Well, then.  Looks like I wasn't specific in my question.  I used to
work with Cisco in the past and I'm aware that they are very fast in
handling network traffic and there is no chance a configuration such
as what FreeBSD can run on will ever compare to these bewdy of boxes
(they can hang about 6 ethers, if I remember right, on the same card,
not even passing packets on the special internal bus!)

What I *did* have in mind while I wrote the previous message was the
report of the Checkpoint company (the authors of Firewall-1, whos
owner used to work one building away from where I sit right now) that
their filtering package, running under Solaris between two Ethernet
10baseT (?) LAN's didn't affect the speed of routing.  (I'm planning
to add such functionalities to the firewall package available on
FreeBSD once I get to it).

I've just read on one of the others reponses that BSD is about as best
as you can get on software-based routing.  That's what I wanted to
hear.

Cheers,

--Amos

--Amos Shapira                      | "Of course Australia was marked for
133 Shlomo Ben-Yosef st.            |  glory, for its people had been chosen
Jerusalem 93 805                    |  by the finest judges in England."
ISRAEL          amoss@cs.huji.ac.il |                     -- Anonymous