Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:00:04 -0500
From:      Alexander Matey <matey@cis.ohio-state.edu>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        m_ilya@agava.com
Subject:   Re: Aureal card sound driver stops working

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 03:25:09PM +0300, Ilya Martynov wrote:
> I've seen twice my Aureal Vortex 8810 card stops working after several days
> of uptime. Both times I've seen it after having XMMS playing mp3 files from
> NFS share for several days (my PC at work always up and I'm listen misic via
> headphones - so I often leave XMMS playing for several days). XMMS plays mp3s
> via esd. So I belive sound stop working if sound device /dev/dsp is keeped
> opened for several days.

I don't think it has anything to do with the driver itself.

> pcm0: <Aureal Vortex 8810> port 0xc400-0xc407,0xc000-0xc007 mem 0xdd000000-0xdd03ffff irq 9 at device 10.0 on pci1
> nfs send error 32 for server hellbell:/m/add5/CODA/mp3
> nfs send error 32 for server hellbell:/m/add5/CODA/mp3
> pcm0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead
> nfs send error 32 for server hellbell:/m/add5/CODA/mp3
> nfs send error 32 for server hellbell:/m/add5/CODA/mp3
> pcm0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead
> nfs send error 32 for server hellbell:/m/add5/CODA/mp3
> nfs send error 32 for server hellbell:/m/add5/CODA/mp3
> pcm0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead
> pcm0: play interrupt timeout, channel dead

With as much details as you gave me, it looks like these nfs timeouts
cause the application that has opened the device to die silently without
closing the device properly.

newpcm still thinks that the device is open and doesn't let you
reopen it.

It is not a driver that checks whether the device is busy, it is newpcm
that tracks open/close requests and keeps the record on a higher level.

--
lx