Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 09:52:02 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: chflags: <> Operation not permitted

John W. DeBoskey wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I've been getting the following error for a little over a week
> now during my nightly build.. Does anyone have any ideas as to
> what's going on ?

The latest -CURRENT automatically raises the kernel security level after
booting, this means you can only do some operations (e.g. types of chflags) when
in single user mode (when the secure level is -1 ;_)

Have a look at /etc/rc

"
if [ "X${kern_securelevel_enable}" != X"NO" -a "${kern_securelevel}" -ge 0 ];
then
        echo 'Raising kernel security level'
        sysctl -w kern.securelevel=${kern_securelevel}
fi
"

Putting:

kern_securelevel_enable="NO"

Into your /etc/rc.conf should do the trick...

Regards,

Karl