Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:34:03 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>
To:        Gary Schenk <gwschenk@socal.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changing to a PS/2 keyboard after install

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 10:08:59PM -0700, Gary Schenk wrote:
> On Monday 09 June 2003 05:30 pm, Scott Mitchell wrote:
> > - Is the keyboard & port hardware actually OK?  Make sure you can at
> > least use it to get into the machine's BIOS setup screens.  Note that
> > PS/2 keyboards shouldn't be hot-plugged -- you can easily kill the
> > port doing that.  Try another keyboard if possible.
>
> The keyboard works in the BIOS part of the boot. I can get into
> UserConfig with it, but after FreeBSD takes over the boot it no longer
> works. And after configuring the kernel with UserConfig it works fine.
> I am using it to type this message. It is only when I do not interrupt
> the boot process that the keyboard does not work.

Are you making any changes in UserConfig?  Or is it just the act of going
in there that gets the keyboard working?  I guess that UserConfig uses the
BIOS to get at the keyboard, and it's only after the atkbd driver tries to
take over that things go bad...

> The kernel that I am booting now has both enabled (I think) thusly:
[...]

Your kernel config looked fine, should be no problems there.

> The rc.conf file is a little messy, perhaps there is a conflict of some
> sort here? Changes have been made to this while playing around, but I
> have been uncertain about whether or not to comment out lines in this
> file.
[...]

Also looks fine.  You might want to clean out the first set of moused_*
entries -- they won't do any harm, but it was a bit confusing seeing them
both there.

> dmesg is here, but perhaps this will not do you any good? This is from
> the last boot, in which UserConfig was used to enable the PS/2
> keyboard. When I had booted the kernel without USB keyboard support, I
> was forced to switch the machine off, which is the reason / was not
> properly dismounted.

Well, it certainly found the keyboard on this boot.  Do you see any
messages like these if you boot up without UserConfig:

> atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
> atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> flags 0x1 irq 1 on atkbdc0
> kbd0 at atkbd0

> I wish I knew enough to know what might be relevant from
> /var/log/messages.

I don't know what I'd be looking for either exactly, just anything from
boot time that appears to relate to the keyboard (all the dmesg stuff will
be in there already, but there may be other messages that didn't get sent
to the console).

What version of FreeBSD are you using?  It may be worth upgrading to
-STABLE if you're on a 4.x RELEASE.

	Scott

Scott Mitchell           | PGP Key ID | "Eagles may soar, but weasels
Cambridge, England       | 0x54B171B9 |  don't get sucked into jet engines"
scott at fishballoon.org | 0xAA775B8B |      -- Anon