Date:      Sat, 27 Oct 2001 13:14:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: time_t not to change size on x86

:> :Peter Wemm - peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com; peter@netplex.com.au
:>
:>     I think the absolute worst that can happen is that moving time_t to
:>     64 bits will have the same sort of impact on ports that moving off_t to
:>     64 bits had.  I don't recall the off_t change as causing any significant
:>     pain.  FreeBSD had it from the get-go, but most of our ports were
:>     compiled on systems with 32 bit off_t's.
:
:Glad you mentioned the off_t problem.. We're *still* finding off_t bugs
:in *OUR OWN CODE*!!  How long has off_t been long long?  Nearly 8 years now
:and we're *still* finding them!
:
:Cheers,
:-Peter

    And I'm sure there are still K&R problems too.  The point is that
    off_t being 64 bits has not posed a serious problem in at least 5 years,
    probably longer.  It's completely off the radar screen.

    Are you seriously proposing that we change off_t back to 32 bits because
    of the minor little off-the-radar-almost-don't-matter bugs that come up
    every now and again?   No?

						-Matt