Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 04:25:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        khetan@iafrica.com (Khetan Gajjar)
Cc:        DARBY1@X400.telkom400.inca.za, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dummies guide to freebsd ?

Greetings!

> > I finally managed to get BSD installed.  I had /usr too small and / too
> > big.  Is /usr mentioned in the install the directory /usr as a subdirectory
> > of / on the disk?  And is the / in the install /root on the  disk?
>
> / and /usr are (usually) seperate partitions. The sizes depend entirely on
> the amount of disk space you have. On my 1 gig drive, I've given / 45 mb,
> /var 45 mv, used 150mb as swap and the rest for /usr.

AVOID the temptation to create a single partition (/) and stuff everything
onto it.  Sooner or later, you'll pay for this (i.e. when things go bump
in the night and you have to rebuild *everything* from scratch).  Note
that partitions (except for swap partitions) hold filesystems.  Also, that
partitions are not the same as disks!  (a disk can hold several partitions)

A small / partition is advised.  I like 50MB.  It should contain most
of the basics and little else.  In general, you want to try to have
/ pretend it is read-only.  If you can limit the amount of changes
to the superblock (i.e. avoid writing to anything on /), you greatly
improve your chances of surviving a crash (since / should survive
intact).   The / partition should hold /dev, /bin, /etc, /stand, /sbin,
/root, /proc -- as well as the mount points for other partitions
(like /tmp, /var, /home, /mnt, etc.)

The goal of the / partition should be to support the minimum stuff
needed to get a system up and running.  If you trash another partition
(e.g., /usr), you want to be able to *confidently* operate from /
while you are restoring it (i.e. boot single user and ONLY mount
/ while you rebuild the broken partition).

I mount /var on its own partition since /var sees *lots* of writes
for mail, news. logs, etc.  (so, a crash can potentially result in
corrupting parts of the /var filesystem).  Also, this allows me to
make sure that news,mail, etc. don't get out of control and start
gobbling up *all* of my disk space.

Likewise, I mount /home on its own partition and, by convention,
put all user home directories therein (i.e. ~/user == /home/user).
Since users tend to write to their $HOME at will, this isolates
their activities onto a separate filesystem.  It also allows me to
setup quotas for users on /home without bothering the rest of my
system.

The /usr partition tends to be pretty big so it gets it's own
partition (otherwise, it would end up on / and I want to keep
that small).  I have also toyed with the idea of creating
a separate /usr/local partition.  And, you could opt for
separate /usr/src and /usr/ports partitions if you want to get
fanatical!

If you have a particularly *fast* drive, you might want to
put /tmp on it (or, use it for swap!).

Inspired by a suggestion from Peter da Silva (sp?), I create
minimal /var, /tmp, /usr, etc.  *directories* on my root
partition (note that a directory is not the same as a filesystem
which is not the same as a partition which is not the same as
a rubber chicken!).  When I mount the *real* /var, /tmp, /usr,
etc. partitions, they mount "on top of" these directories
(so, the contents of the directories are lost/hidden/overlaid).
This allows me to use things from my minimalist root (/)
partition that may expect/require certain things in /var (like
/var/log) or /usr, /tmp, etc.  Clever, eh?   (Thanks Peter!)

> > Also, I get a WARNING : / NOT PROPERLY DISMOUNTED when I boot.  I logout
> > and then turn off.  I am running on a standalone PC.  Am I doing something
> > wrong to get out of it?
>
> DO NOT just shut down the PC. You stand the chance of losing everything in
> memory i.e. since the last controlled shutdown. You need to login as root
> and type shutdown, or halt, or reboot -r now.

Hmmm... I'm not sure "halt" will automatically go through all of the
steps shutdown imposes.  I always thought:
	shutdown
	sync; sync (hopelessly paranoid)
	halt
to be safest.

> Why are you continually shutting down the PC though ?

It's so much easier to just leave it run.  Also, cron jobs that
occur at odd hours of the night won't get run if you're always
shutting down, etc.  (for example, I run a cron job that
routinely cleans all *old* /../cat/cat* in $MANPATH)

> > Also, is there perhaps a FAQ or giude to BSD on the internet that is
> > intended for total begginers such as myself?  I am battling along in a
> > small desert town with nothing but Win95 for 500Km around me!

HEADLINE:   "Win95 lost in desert"     Oh, I wish...  :>

--don