Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 2013 22:35:02 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Functional KDE desktop

Hi,
I am in the process of upgrading all the ports on a 9.1-PRERELEASE =
system and I am having a lot of trouble building or running KDE 4.9.5.

I couldn't build it due to x11/xsd not building (didn't make a necessary =
header), or if I worked around that libkonq was not found by cmake. If I =
manage to work around that I get an error dialogue when logging in.

In the end I gave up and installed packages (version 4.8.4) however that =
does work as startkde gives..
[midget 22:10] ~ >env PATH=3D$PATH:/usr/local/kde4/bin =
/usr/local/kde4/bin/startkde
xset:  bad font path element (#12), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax
startkde: Starting up...
/usr/local/lib/libkdeui.so.7: Undefined symbol =
"_ZN6Attica15ProviderManagerC1ERK6QFlagsINS0_12ProviderFlagEE"
startkde: Could not start kdeinit4. Check your installation.

c++filt says this symbol is..
=
Attica::ProviderManager::ProviderManager(QFlags<Attica::ProviderManager::P=
roviderFlag> const&)

Also, the startkde script does not set the pass so it never finds =
kcheckrunning.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum