Date:      Sun, 06 Jul 2003 11:27:54 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Stop syslog from writing certain facilities to console?

--=-=-=

I'm running Leafnode in a FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE jail environment.  `fetchnews'
reports a lot of minor errors to news.err, and these get written to console
(which annoys me to no end).

/etc/syslog.conf looks like:

    *.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit          /dev/console
    *.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err /var/log/messages
    security.*                                      /var/log/security
    auth.info;authpriv.info                         /var/log/auth.log
    mail.info                                       /var/log/maillog
    lpr.info                                        /var/log/lpd-errs
    cron.*                                          /var/log/cron
    *.emerg                                         *
    news.crit                                       /var/log/news/news.crit
    news.err                                        /var/log/news/news.err
    news.notice                                     /var/log/news/news.noti=
ce
    !startslip
    *.*                                             /var/log/slip.log
    !ppp
    *.*                                             /var/log/ppp.log

I can't seem to get my head around this.  How can I tell it to look *.err to
console except when facility=3Dnews?
=2D-=20
Kirk Strauser

--=-=-=