Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 13:35:35 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Jim Sander <jim@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: the finer points of cvsup...

Jim Sander wrote:
>    Is it "better" to take a bunch of "small bites" by updating once a day,
> or should I lean toward taking fewer "big bites" and update weekly?

If you mean "better" for the servers/bandwidth, then "big bites" will be
better. Each time you do a cvsup it has to go through the listing/detailing
phase, which ties up bandwidth and resources on the server. The amount
of traffic caused by actual downloads will be the same whether you cvsup
every day or once a week, but the overhead will be ~7x worse if you do it
daily.

>    What's the story on '*default compress' - is it "better" to compress
> even on a fast connection, or does that overhead tax the cvsup server?

The example cvsup files request that compression be disabled if speed is
T1 or faster. I'd assume that someone else has already done the math and
decided that the benefits of compression are negated with a link faster
than T1.

>    I want to be as kind to the cvsup servers as possible, am not in a big
> hurry, and have both CPU and bandwidth to spare at the time cvsup is going
> to run. But I also want to have "reasonably" current src, ports, and doc.
> If there's a burden to shoulder, I want it to be mine and not the cvsup
> server's - I've had near zero trouble with the server I target, and will
> do what I can to keep it that way.

How often do you do upgrades? Personally, I only cvsup right before I'm
planning to update the system. Mind you, I update about once a month.
Ports are a different story. I think you could probably update your ports
tree daily/weekly and it would be a reasonable thing to do. Unless you don't
install/change your software often.
All of this changes if you plan on developing for FreeBSD, in which case
you probably need to cvsup daily.

>    Any examples of what people are doing, and most importantly why you're
> doing it that way, would be much appreciated.

See above. In my personal case, I only cvsup when I'm planning to update.
I use that same theory for both ports and the base system.

-Bill

--
"Where's the robot to pat you on the back?"