Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 1997 22:01:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Timothy J Kniveton <tim@CMU.EDU>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   HD Spin-down

Does anyone have comments about a good way to get the HD to spin down
into power saving mode?  I enabled it in my BIOS, but found that the
system's periodic syncs caused this to not work.  So then I changed
kern.update to be some ridiculously high value around 10 hours.

Today I found that this was a _really_ bad idea, when I was toying
with my sound drivers and the system froze.  I lost a lot of info;
luckily most of it was easily replaceable.

So can anyone tell me the "right" way to do this?  thanks.

-tim