Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:56:35 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        "Brian Miller" <bmiller@lablaw.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Auto Mount USB

"Brian Miller" <bmiller@lablaw.org> writes:

> Not a big deal. I will be sure to just mount and dismount the USB drives
> manually. They are just there to store a config and log backup on the
> firewall. I am doing this so that if I have a failure or attack or some
> other type of crash. I will be able to check out the latest config and
> logs. A cron job is scheduled to copy these files to the USB drive every
> so often.

For this sort of thing, I would recommend using mtools (available in a
port).  Mounting the disk shouldn't be necessary for copying one file
to removable storage.

Definitely consider logging to a remote machine, though.  It will be
considerably more secure.  (There's no reason you can't do both, and
get the advantages of each.)