Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 1997 11:08:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>
To:        Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! ed0 no longer works after 'make world' upgrade to -CURRENT

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Brandon Gillespie wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Brandon Gillespie wrote:
> > I just upgraded from 2.2.2-RELEASE to 3.0-CURRENT with a make world, then
> > a recompile of my kernel.  However, my ed0 is no longer working!  It has
> > the exact same port/irq settings as my kernel did with 2.2.2, and it
> > probes in the boot sequence.  But when it tries to initialize the network
> > all I get is:
> >
> >    ed0: device timeout
>
> It appears to be working.. all I did:
>
> first boot: didn't work
> boot -c, set irq/port (even though its to the same thing): didn't work
> recompile kernel (same config), reboot: didn't work
> reboot with old 2.2.2 kernel: didn't boot, dunno if it would have worked
> reboot back to 3.0: works??

FWIW, I've been running 3.0-current for over a month now on my 386/40, and
the WD8003E quit working yesterday while the system was in operation (I
was running a cvsup at the time).  Ever since it quit working, I get "ed0:
device timeout" when the system runs the networking configuration at boot
time, and I've booted numerous times; the card didn't seem to work under
Win95, either. None of my (10-year old) WD8003EBT cards would even allow
the system to go through POST (bus speed problems?), so I'm waiting for a
cheap NE2000 clone to arrive.

> Did I scare the new kernel into submission, did it see an implied threat
> that I'd use 2.2.2 if it didn't get its act in shape?  Why did it suddenly
> work?

I would have thought that Windows95 would have scared the old card into
submission, so maybe it really is dead :-)

Guy Helmer, Computer Science Graduate Student - ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
Iowa State University               http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer