Date:      Mon, 13 Nov 1995 02:15:21 +0800 (WST)
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@jhome.DIALix.COM>
To:        David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
Cc:        ache@astral.msk.su, CVS-commiters@freefall.freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: CVSROOT log_accum.pl

On Sun, 12 Nov 1995, David Greenman wrote:
> >In message <Pine.BSF.3.91.951103212121.283A-100000@jhome.DIALix.COM>
> >    Peter Wemm writes:
> >
> >>I'm running a variant of what you proposed in my kernel at the moment..
> >>  if (!SESS_LEADER(p))
> >>    printf("setlogin called from a non session leader, pid %d\n", p->p_pid);
> >
> >>I do not doubt that your fix is a "good thing" and will be required sooner
> >>or later, I just want to make sure we are not going to to have a hundred
> >>bug reports "xdm doesn't work any more" or some other program that we're
> >>not aware of yet.
> >
> >Peter, do you have any progress in this issue for now?
> >Maybe it is time to commit my fix to -current?
>
>    If we decide to change setlogin() so that it only works for session
> leaders, then I'd prefer that we leave out the printf(). If you want to add
> that to your own sources, fine, but I prefer to keep console noise minimized
> to important failures.

Yes; If it was to go in, IMHO it would have been better with log() anyway
(like bde's "" == "." change).

I guess the real question is; are we prepared to loose XFree86 3.1.2
xdm compatability until their next release?  Maybe this isn't such a big
deal anyway, because running xdm corrupts the session "name" anyway.

-Peter