Date:      	Fri, 23 Aug 1996 09:28:37 -0400
From:      Martin Loeffler <martin.loeffler@utoronto.ca>
To:        tcg@ime.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTP Install

At 12:30 PM 8/21/96 -0400, Gary Chrysler wrote:

>They are expected to be setup exactly the same way FreeBSD.org
>has it's tree structure.
>
>FreeBSD/version/
..
>-Enjoy

This has to be the most ... challenging install I've ever had the pleasure
of attempting. In attempting an FTP - based install, I know it can log in via
ftp, from connecting to a local machine. However, no matter how I specify
the URL, it refuses to find the distribution. Ok, I've made a mistake - I'll
try one, many, all of the distribution sites that are listed and guess what?
It has the same problem with them. As a matter of fact, the install program
returns an error so quickly, that I doubt it ever tried to connect.

As an aside, what is it about ATAPI that makes it *so* hard to install from
CD-ROMs based on the standard? If DOS can do it (and Linux, and NetBSD and,
well...), why can't we?

M.
--
 "Excitement. Adventure. A Jedi craves not these things", but then
  I never said I was a Jedi, did I?

 Martin Loeffler, Curator of Computing Technology
 Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of Toronto
 martin.loeffler@utoronto.ca