Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:18:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org (Jonathon McKitrick)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need help with dying drive/restoring data

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 06:19:06PM -0400, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> : >
> : >
> : > Okay, I found that the fixit disk is able to mount the filesystem on the
> : > dying drive.  But I have a couple of problems.
> : >
> : > 1.  Since this is a laptop (no CD-R or other mass storage besides the drive)
> : > I need a way to get a few big tarballs made and sent elsewhere.  I don't
> : > think a floppy will work.  I have a parallel port zip drive I will try
> : > tomorrow.  I can't figure out how to get my wi interface up.  I loaded the
> : > kld, inserted the card and heard it beep, but no interface shows up, or at
> : > least pccardd didn't load it correctly.  Not sure what to do next.
> :
> : Can you plug in a direct ethernet line and transfer stuff somewhere
> : if you can't get the wireless to go?
>
> Yes, if I can get a regular ed0 device to work.
>
> : ps, You don't mount the slice.  You mount the device - actually the
> : file system in the partition which you are identifying as 'g' which
> : is in slice '1' on disk 0 (unless it has renumbered the disk to '1' or
> : something).
>
> I guess I don't know exactly how this works.  I thought if I mounted the
> device it would mount all the partitions.  But I cannot get to the /usr
> directory.

Each partition is a device.    If /usr is in its separate partition
then you will need to mount it separately.   If it is all in another
partition such as root (/) then you need to mount that device and
cd to the proper place.     You seem to have chopped off the piece
that had the partition you were trying to mount from the previous
message, but I seem to remember something like ad0s1g.   So,
   cd /
   mkdir oldusr
   mount /dev/ad0s1g /oldusr
should get you that device/partition mounted and would be
accessible starting at /oldusr.

I am not real sure about creating the mount point that way with the
fixit disk.  If it makes a filesystem in memory for root (/), it should
work.   If not, it may be non-writable so you would have to use an
existing mount point such as maybe /mnt if it isn't being used in some
other way already.

  cd /
  ls -l   to see what dirs are hanging around
  cd /mnt  and look around if that one is there.  If it is empty, then
  cd /
  mount /dev/ad0s1g /mnt

Now, if the IDE disk order got shoved around, you may have to do
some looking.  It might be something like

  mount /dev/ad1s1g /mnt   or whatever it comes up as.

You may have to watch boot really closely to see what disk devices
are named.    But, first try running   dmesg | more   to see if it
will tell you anything useful.   Look for IDE devices.   I don't know
if dmesg will work on a fisit boot though.  I have never tried it.

////jerry