Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:47:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      patl@Phoenix.Volant.ORG
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of nullfs

On 22-Feb-01 at 14:15, Terry Lambert (tlambert@primenet.com) wrote:
> Any mmap'ed writes will fail due to cache coherency problems.  If
> file are supposed to be treated as identical for both.

Thanks, Terry.  Given your clear and concise explanation, I don't
think that nullfs will be suitable for my use.

> There are a number of patches to manually enforce coherency; as
> far as I know, they don't deal with the pager path, and, since
> the coherency is explicit, the /usr vs. /null_usr problem is
> not resolved.  Check the list archives to obtain the patches.
>
> If you need stacking for a project, FiST has been ported to
> FreeBSD.  Personally, I have not used it, but supposedly it
> addresses the vm_object_t aliasing caused coherency problems.

Hmm.  That looks like it might be a possibility; I'll look
into it a bit deeper.

Of course I might be on completely the wrong tack.  I'm looking
into methods to reduce the disk overhead and maintainance issues
with setting up jailed virtual hosts.  The hosts generally won't
have any user shell access; but will run some combination of
SMTP, IMAP, POP, FTP, HTTP, etc. services.

It seems like it should be possible to set up a prototype jail
directory tree with all of the necessary software installed.
That directory should be shared read-only with all jails; with
each jail having a read-write filesystem layered on top with
the necessary per-virtual-host configuration and data files.

It would be even better if there were two per-jail layers, one
underneath with config files, read-only, and the one on top for
data files read-write.  But a single per-jail layer would be OK.

Ideally, root on the host machine should have read-write access
to both the shared prototype and the 'raw' overlayed directories.
(By 'raw', I mean only what is actually in the overlayed tree,
without the prototype underneath.)  The raw access isn't really
necessary; but it would make a few things easier.

I'll be happy to hear of any suggestions on how to do this on
4-STABLE; or any reasonable alternative schemes to accomplish
the same goal.

Thanks,
-Pat