Date:      Wed, 06 May 1998 15:30:24 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo), stefan@promo.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISA-PnP w\o BIOS support?

> Luigi Rizzo writes:
> > > I'll take a look on the weekend...
> >
> > I have to say that shuffling ideas, suggestions, or requests for
> > features is a nice thing, but at this point i think we have by far much
> > more projects than manpower, so what we really need is people start
> > implementing things. So your last sentence is very appreciated...
>
> I'd be willing to help with some of the more "menial" tasks around
> getting things fixed up. For example, the conversion from drivers
> using NFOO to dynaically allocated softc structures and foointr(void *)
> instead of foointr(int).. if you have ideas let me know.

Those two alone would be bloody wonderful.  You might want to think
about how to get the softc pointer inside other functions (open/close/
read/write).

This latter probably calls for passing a token to the devfs creation
functions, which is passed back instead of the dev_t.  Julian and I
have talked about this before - you should be able to extract the gist
of this from him pretty quickly.

More importantly, you can do this incrementally.  A driver a day should
be pretty achievable.  8)

Thanks!