Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 1997 19:49:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Yves Lepage <yves@CC.McGill.CA>
To:        hench@cae.uwm.edu, wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIS breakage

Hi,

I use FreeBSD's implementation of NIS for production.

Although broken, it's the cleanest and most stable implementation
that I've been using. Which is why we use this one as opposed to using
Sun's.

I use huge maps (huge, from NIS's point of view) and 38k doesn't
seem to be a limit for me. It's true though that I use 2.1.5.

Problems that I have seen in FreeBSD's NIS:

- ypcat is broken. a 'ypcat passwd' doesn't give me nearly
  as many entries as there are in the map

- yp_mkdb -u gives me slightly better results but some entries
  are still missing.

The only way I have found so far to compare a map and the master.passwd
file is to extract usernames from the master.passwd and ypmatch them all
against the passwd.byname map. I have to do this because sometimes,
some entries will be "forgotten" by the maps building process. This
doesn't happen very often, fortunately.

Yves Lepage