Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 09:57:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Tom Nadeau <tnadeau@lucidvision.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: spam on freebsd list

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Tom Nadeau wrote:

>	Anyone out there know why spam is being sent around
>on the FreeBSD mailing list? I count at least 3 since I
>signed up on the list yesterday. If this continues, I
>will get off the list and just search the digests.

I'll tell you why spam is being sent.

Spam is being sent because the Department of Natural Resources refuses to
issue hunting licenses for them because the DNR operates under the
mistaken notion that spammers are a protected species.

The mail guru works hard to ban spammers as they show up. This is like
trying to rid your space ship of tribbles. The FreeBSD lists are every bit
as subject to the net as any one persons mailbox.

Out of the 150 or so FreeBSD emails I get each day, one or two of them are
spam (less than one percent). I can always recognize them by the header. I
just delete them.

If this is too much for you to bare, perhaps your stated plan of action is
best.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/