Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 00:59:27 -0700
From:      Jim Mock <jim@jmock.com>
To:        Nader Turki <nturki@adelphia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 4.1-R to 4.1-S

On Thu, 03 Aug 2000 at 03:15:40 -0400, Nader Turki wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I just installed fresh FreeBSD 4.1 and wanna upgrade to FreeBSD
> 4.1-STABLE.  Anyway, I did that few times with 3.x and 4.0.  I used to
> cvsup then just cd /usr/src; make world.
> then recompile my kernel:
> cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> /usr/sbin/config MYKERNEL
> cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
> make depend; make; make install
>
> And It worked for me all the time, I was checking thew handbook and
> saw something new which is:
> # cd /usr/src
> # make buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
> # make installkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
>
> Do I have to use that way or the old way will work just fine.

The new way is preferred.  If you use the old way, chances are, it will
work fine (it has here), but there are no promises.  YMMV.

If you cvsup the source, you should get the changes added to the tree
tonight that install the kernel as /kernel instead of /MYKERNEL (see
/usr/src/UPDATING for more info on the procedure if you don't get the
latest changes).  Otherwise, you can add the following line to your
kernel config file to get it to install as /kernel:

   makeoptions	KERNEL=kernel

> P.S. someone told me that cvs-crypto is a part of src-all now, is
> that true?

Yes.

> so i don't need to have cvs-crypto on my supfile anymore if i'm using
> scr-all ????

Correct.

- jim

--