Date:      Sun, 19 Sep 2004 00:48:38 -0500
From:      Vulpes Velox <v.velox@vvelox.net>
To:        Glenn Sieb <ges+lists@wingfoot.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DVD question...

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 22:44:14 -0400
Glenn Sieb <ges+lists@wingfoot.org> wrote:

> Hey list!
>
> I'm a BSD guy for servers & such. My own server (wingfoot) runs
> 4.10-STABLE, and my last job was 95% FreeBSD in the data center.
>
> I'm getting sick of Windows on my desktop at home. (No kidding,
> right?!) I'd really really really love to move my desktop to FBSD.
> One thing is really holding me back.
>
> In Windows, I have Roxio Easy Media Creator 7, which allows me to
> manipulate AVI/MPEG streams, and format a DVD video disc and burn
> it, using my nifty TDK DVD 8x +/-RW drive.
>
> I'm pretty sure I can find AVI/MPEG editing packages for BSD easy
> enough.

avidemux, mplayer, ffmpeg should take care of nearly all of your
needs

> But I'm having a dickens of a time finding something that will let
> me author DVDs. Any pointing in directions or help would be greatly
> appreciated!

Try searching the ports tree :P

man ports

http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=dvd&stype=all

I've personally have had better luck with mutlimedia and the like
under freebsd, than I ever have under windows.