Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:15:59 +0100
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Dangling symlink in /usr/compat/linux

Hello Doug,

Sorry for the belated answer, I hit the hay in the meantime... but now,
good morning to everybody outta there:-)

On Sun, Feb 04, 2001 at 05:05:11PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> 	Ummm... duh. :) I confirmed this on two machines.

OK I think I nailed it:-) I took a trip to the /var/db/pkg directory, it
was very educational:-)

/var/db/pkg/linux_base-6.1/+CONTENTS, the offending line in my installled
copy:

@exec ln -sf ../X11R6/lib/X11 %D/usr/lib/X11
@unexec rm %D/usr/lib/X11

But the port that actually did something to that directory was
linux_devtools. It puts the config directory for X11 there. So you may very
much be correct... unless you install linux_devtools, there may be no
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11 directory at all.

So short workaround: install linux_devtools:-)
Long workaround: Take a long hard look at what's going on before posting to
say that *it works for me* /*note to myself */

Solution: ? ( Maybe create the directory once we symlink to it? Seems like
a good idea... )

(Most probably this problem never surfaced before because the maintainers
had both ports installed on their systems.)

Luckily, the date on the directories tipped me off, since I installed the
devtools port only two days later...

> 	Have you installed any linux X apps other than real player? That and
> netscape are all I have installed.

No, only Netscape, RP, Flash plugin and linux-jdk are linux apps on my
system (oh yes and that unwieldy beast, Star Office) all from ports, except
for RP which I downloaded quite some time ago and installed by hand and had
no reason to upgrade ever since... but most of these do not put anything
under the /usr/compat/linux/ hierarchy at all, but rather prefer
/usr/local.

> > (I installed linux-base quite some time ago but I know it works because I
> > use RealPlayer every day:-)
>
> 	Me too.

Using it right now:-) Good line quality from Charleston, SC.

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Szeged University