Date:      Sun, 7 Apr 2013 00:09:32 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Youtube & Flash Videos broken?

On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 23:39:11 +0200, Jens Schweikhardt wrote:
> Since I haven't heard the FreeBSD community screaming "Gimme back
> my Youtube!!!1!", I'll bite. What could the problem be? Is anyone
> else but me able to play flash, like for example "The true science
> of multiple universes" in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywn2Lz5zmYg ?

The video has a "ad overlay" (can skip after a few seconds),
video itself plays fine here. Note that I'm providing you
this reference from the past: I'm using Opera with the Linux
Flash plugin (installed as described in the handbook), and
the versions are opera-11.50, opera-linuxplugins-11.50,
and linux-f10-flashplugin-10.3r183.5, installed in summer 2011.
So I haven't changed things, and it still works, because
the rule is: Never touch a running system. ;-)

> Other types play just fine, like "Pt1gard's 10-Question Apollo Test"
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUPtiYiMCbQ

Yes, plays fine.

> I can work around this by downloading the files with clive and watching
> with mplayer, but I'd like to make this work again.

If it's just about YouTube video, why not use youtube-dl and
mplayer? I haven't tested it for those particular two videos,
but it tends to work for everything. :-)

I cannot provide a reference regarding Firefox (with "Flash"
installed as described in the Handbook) because it freezes
mny system (faulty GPU).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany