Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 1996 23:00:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Randy DuCharme <root@localhost.nconnect.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD growing pains

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Randy DuCharme wrote:

>     Many thanks to all who have helped so far with my early "FreeBSD journey" difficulties.  There's a couple more things that I can't seem to fix.
> 1)  In X, using the fvwm window manager, when I start an xterm window from the utilities popup, the window opens with the following...
>      xterm: Can't execvp tcsh

Oh, what is the solution to this?  Did you take "COMPAT_43" out of your
kernel?  If so put it back; xterm is one of those archaic apps that needs it.

> 2)  How do I figure out how to configure my Okidata OL400, and DeskJet 560 printers?

Check out the Handbook on the section on printers.

> 3)  Which version of Netscape works with FreeBSD.  I tried the BDSI version (2.03) but it didn't start.

2.02 works great right out of the box.   I'd try 2.03 if I could find
it.  It's not on Netscape's home site.  :-/

Try symlinking /usr/X11R6 to /usr/X11, or setting the environment
variables given in the README.